Monday, December 29, 2008

it's nice to be home

1. Waking up all curled up in my featherbed. This is one of the things I love about coming home to my parents' house in the winter.

2. Breakfast at the bagel shop I frequented senior year of high school. They still have the same bagel I got every week - granola almond with honey almond cream cheese. Crunchy!

3. Spending the whole day with my sister - and her being as excited about this as I am.

4. Lunch at the Indian buffet with my mom and sister. We stuffed ourselves full of curries and naan and chai and other lovely things.

5. Finding black pants that fit and are comfortable and are good for wearing to work. Pants that go with everything make getting dressed in the wee hours of the dawn much easier.

6. Giant piles of filthy snow at the edges of the parking lot at the mall. I know it sounds not so glorious, but it's home. There are no piles of snow, giant and/or filthy or not, in California, and in a perverse way I miss them.

7. The noise the wind is making right now as it gusts around the house, rattling the windows and moaning through the big pine tree and making the naked maples shake. And then it is still, and the yellow streetlamp shines on the damp pavement and the snow that lingers on the curb. And then the wind again, whispering, wuthering. I hope it keeps up all night long.

(and a bonus: I just got an email from a friend I hadn't known would be in town while I'm here!)

No comments: